Top Questions to Ask About Your Wound Care Service Line
Quality of Care
- Would you send your mother or father to your wound care center?
- How many of your patients are getting healed and in how long?
Efficiency, Cost and Utilization
- Is your wound center profitable?
- How productive is your current staff compared to national benchmarks?
- Are you using wound care supplies and consumables effectively?
- What is your capital/equipment utilization? Can it be improved with operational efficiencies? What reports are you using to monitor and improve your center’s efficiency?
- Does your wound center EMR provide wound specific templates and workflow?
- Does your documentation support your coding?
- Are you getting paid appropriately for the services rendered in the wound center?
- Do you have a thorough process for denial and partial payment follow-up?
Consistency of Care
- Do your patients receive treatment using a consistent care pathway for their type of wound?
- Is the care pathway based on evidence of best treatment protocol?
- What is the variability of outcomes across your patient population? Wound types? Provider seen?
- Are your floor nurses, physicians and discharge planners aware of the services at your wound center?
- How does your center help shorten patient length of stay? Readmissions? HAPUs?
- What is your coordination of care between inpatient and outpatient services for chronic wounds?
- Is your wound center perceived as a “Center of Excellence” in your community?
- Do the doctors and home health agencies in your community regularly send their patients to your center?
- Who are your top referring doctors?
- Would a patient in your community drive past another provider to come to your center?
- How do you ensure patients know your center exists and how to access it?
- What do your patients say about your wound center?
- Are the physicians that work in your wound center committed to full-time or part-time coverage?
- Do other physicians in your community view the wound doctor as a potential for losing their patient if they refer to the wound center?
- How many clinic hours have no physician coverage scheduled or are cancelled last minute?
Training and Education
- Is your staff trained in the latest wound care best practices?
- Does your staff receive regular, ongoing training and education for advanced wound care?
- Do your physicians receive regular wound-specific training and resources?