The Impact of Heart Health on Wound Healing
1 in 2 Americans suffer from a cardiovascular disease. Coronary artery disease, peripheral artery disease and other issues with the heart and vessels can cause blockages that obstruct the flow of blood.
- Decreased blood flow hinders the delivery of oxygen and nutrition needed for proper wound healing.
- An unhealed wound on the foot or leg can lead to amputation.
- 82% of leg amputations are due to poor circulation of the affected limb.
What does cardiovascular disease include?
- Coronary artery disease (CAD)
- Heart disease
- Heart failure
- Heart valve problems
- Heart attack
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD)
- Vascular disease
- Take off your socks at your next checkup and speak up about any problems with your legs or feet.
- If you or a loved one is living with a wound and cardiovascular disease, find a Wound Care Center® near you.
American Heart Association
Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Request an Appointment
Start your path to healing today! Wound care is what our specialists do all day, every day. We offer advanced treatments to help your wound heal faster.